Skip to main content

Placement & Challenge Exam


If you are a new to German, sign up for GERM 101.

If you have German ability (other than a German-speaking mission), please contact Dr. Teresa Bell ( She will guide you to the appropriate course.

  • Can I get credit for the courses I place out of? Yes, but only if you continue on to take GERM 301. During 301 you will be invited to take the German Challenge Exam (described below) and will receive a grade only for those courses you haven’t already taken. So if you place out of 101 but take 102, 201, and 202, you would get challenge credit for 101.

German Challenge Exam

Students with extensive German experience (such as a German-speaking LDS mission, attendance at German schools, or German spoken in the home) may receive challenge credit for GERM 101, 102, 201, and 311R by taking the German Challenge Exam. With very rare exceptions, a student must be enrolled in GERM 301 in order to take this exam, and the credits are contingent on a successful completion of the course. The GERM 301 instructor will help students sign up for the exam.

Further general information about BYU Challenge Exams can be found here. Any questions about the German Placement Exam can be directed to the German section head, Dr. Teresa Bell (

Native Speakers

Native speakers should consult individually with the German section head, Dr. Teresa Bell (, before taking any courses.